Friday, August 7, 2009

Sappy Thoughts on Summer '09

"Oh, The Places We Will Go!"
School starts back on Tuesday for the Biglane household. (Beau starts and Ali starts Mother's Day out, however her preschool class doesn't start until the following week.) This week has been emotional as the summer comes to an end. I just finished my first "free" summer since high school. I spent the entire summer sleeping in, going places the kids wanted to go, and just soaking in time with the kids. Don't get me wrong, there have been many days of wondering, "What in the world was I thinking quitting my full-time job?" (Especially those days when the kids are arguing or fussing about anything.) But for the most part, I wouldn't have traded this summer with my kids for anything. I loved watching Beau's face light up each time he saw the "dinosaurs" at the Pink Palace (even on repeat trips.) I enjoyed even more having the opportunity to see Beau learn to swim and then practice on regular trips to the pool. I have loved listening to Ali play "house" and repeat to her babies the things she gets told on a daily basis. Trips to the library, runs to Sonic for ice cream, and the occasional run through the water sprinkler have all been fun. As I sat at Beau's kindergarten open house last night I remembered something I heard at his first open house just two years ago. His teacher that year reminded the parents to hug their kids as often as possible because one day, we will turn around and our babies will be young men and women and think they are too old for hugs. Thankfully, I am not there yet. But I can look at my children and see how quickly they are changing and growing before my eyes. Derick, I know you have seen me have some long days this summer. Many a day has he walked in at 5:30 to hear, "I've had them all day, you take them until time for bed." Please know that I thank you so much for the opportunity to have been home with them all summer. I have loved every minute of it, even the long ones! Again, loved every minute of it, but I am excited about rejoining the land of the working on September 1, for year two as Leadership Desoto Coordinator with the Desoto Economic Council!

No comments:

Post a Comment